Governance for the LF Energy (“LFE”) is set forth in the governance charter and based on best practices leveraged by the world’s most successful open source communities. The LFE Governing Board is responsible for oversight of LFE, with a Technical Advisory Committee (“TAC”) responsible for assisting in the coordination of, and communication among, the various technical projects supported by LFE.
- The Governing Board oversees business decision making (e.g., how to spend budget), and the projects’ Technical Steering Committees (TSCs) oversee the technical communities and projects. Splitting business and technical decision making is a best practice for open source projects.
- Each supported project is responsible for its own technical oversight through a Technical Steering Committee (“TSC”), and the TAC fulfills a liaison role as opposed to a prescriptive role.
- Participation in the supported technical projects is open to anyone, whether an LFE member or not, subject to compliance with the technical charters of the projects.
- Membership is not required to become a Committer; membership is not required to submit contributions. Working Group and TSC participation is solely based on contribution and advancing roles based on a “do-ocracy” via technical merit and community recognition; no membership is required.
LFE encourages industry participants to support LFE by contributing to the resources available to the community. LFE offers two levels of membership support options available to for-profit entities (Premier and General) and an Associate membership level for non-profit organizations. The legal entity for LFE is The Linux Foundation, and membership in The Linux Foundation is required in order to become a member of LFE.
LFE currently supports four technical projects, each of which is organized as a separate series of LF Projects, LLC, as follows:
- OperatorFabric Project a Series of LF Projects, LLC
- Let’s Coordinate Project a Series of LF Projects, LLC
- PowSyBl Project a Series of LF Projects, LLC
- RIAPS Project a Series of LF Projects, LLC